Senior Director of Development
CityTeam is a Christian non-profit dedicated to supporting communities by meeting immediate needs and enabling lasting solutions for those struggling with poverty, homelessness, and addiction. Being part of CityTeam is not just a career but also a calling. Whether we’re working on the frontlines in Programs or working behind the scenes in Support Services, we feel privileged to use our education, experience, and gifts to love people and bring glory to God.
The Senior Director of Development is responsible for the strategy and implementation of Donor Relations and Development for CityTeam Ministries. We are looking for someone with a proven track record to lead CityTeam to the next stage of growth and impact. The Senior Director of Development will lead and oversee all aspects of Development including strategic planning, donor prospecting and engagement, direct donor management, major gifts, foundation engagement, church and corporate partnerships, and online fundraising. The Senior Director of Development will manage and inspire a team dedicated to sharing CityTeam’s stories and raising money to fund our ministries. The Senior Director of Development will consult with and advise the President, Executive Leadership Team, and Managers regarding current Development needs, trends, and how they relate to CityTeam’s Values and Initiatives.
Using his or her expertise, the Senior Director of Development will grow our fundraising by expanding our donor-base, retaining a high level of donors, and implementing a strategic plan that increasingly resonates with our partners. The Senior Director of Development will coach and help the President target donors and create a 3-year plan which not only meets CityTeam income needs but also serves and engages donors at all levels of the giving pyramid. Our ideal candidate will not only bring a wealth of development experience, but will also be a mature Christian who can handle conflict with truth and grace and model Christ-like behavior. The Senior Director of Development will focus on meeting goals without sacrificing relationships.
The Senior Director of Development is a full-time exempt position. Beyond salary, CityTeam offers a great benefit package, including but not limited to Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance, Paid Vacation, Paid Holidays, Paid Sick Leave, and Retirement Benefits. All of this is wrapped up in a Christian environment that values Teamwork, Accountability, Humility, Innovation, and Joy.
1. Design and manage Development campaigns to meet or exceed key performance indicators for donor growth, retention, and engagement.
2. Manage and lead the Development Team, including identifying needs, coaching, and providing professional development opportunities.
3. Personally oversee and be responsible for portfolio of major donors ($10,000+), including identification, cultivation, ongoing engagement, and retention.
4. Oversee grant writing and partnership development with foundation partners.
5. Oversee the donor database.
6. Achieve and or exceed a set of annual metrics and giving goals.
7. Provide leadership for development and execution of fundraising programs including relationship events, corporate and foundation relations, planned giving, third party events, and other fundraising initiatives.
8. Oversee, design, and manage development communications, tracking and management tools.
9. Work in collaboration with other Executive Leadership Team members and Departments.
10. Train and support board members, staff, and community supporters to cultivate, solicit, and thank current and prospective donors.
11. Develop initiatives to help convert volunteers to donors.
12. Oversee the effective management of churches, corporations, and individual donors.
13. Lead corporate giving initiatives by networking within corporate communities (Rotary, Business Journal, etc.), researching new opportunities, contacting representatives, building rapport, meeting, requesting volunteer and financial partnerships, and creating meaningful partnerships that benefit CityTeam’s work.
14. Identify, evaluate, and implement ways to improve and grow partnerships with individuals, churches, and corporations.
15. Additional duties and special projects as assigned by the President.
PLEASE NOTE: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the essential duties satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Education and Experience
• 4-year degree in Business, Marketing, or other related field
• 5-year minimum experience with fundraising and donor development
• Computer literate
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel and Outlook
• Familiarity with social media and digital communication
• Professional written and spoken communication skills
• Proficiency speaking to small and large groups of people
• Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work with donors, board members, staff, volunteers, and vendors
• Experience supervising and managing staff
• Valid CA Driver’s License with a clean record
Preferred Education and Experience
• Advanced degree
• Certified Fund-Raising Executive (CFRE)
• Experience with non-profit fundraising/development
• Familiarity with CityTeam, addiction, and homelessness
• Familiarity with Raiser’s Edge, Volunteer Hub, or other volunteer management software
• Experience with or exposure to marketing, branding, and communications functions
• Stand and sit for prolonged amounts of time
• Walk, bend, twist, & kneel
• Walk up and down stairs
• Talk and hear
• Finger and hand dexterity to feel, handle, and operate objects, tools or controls, and to reach with hands and arms
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus
• This job typically operates in a professional office environment
• This role will regularly travel to donor meetings and meet in a variety of venues, including churches, restaurants, offices, and homes.
• Days and hours of work will typically be business hours Monday-Friday with occasional weekends and evenings.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications for CityTeam Ministries
• Must have an intimate, personal relationship with Jesus Christ
• Must be active in a local Christian body of believers or at least pursuing community with other Christ-followers
• Must have compatible theology on major issues of CityTeam's Statement of Faith
• Must be committed to serving God and the body of Christ
Job Title: Senior Director of Development
Area/Location: Development / Support Services / San Jose, CA
Reports to: President
Subordinates: Development Team
Classification: Executive / Full Time / Regular / Exempt