Director of Development and Communications
The Sunday Friends Foundation empowers very low income families in San Jose to break the generational cycle of poverty by fostering positive development and academic achievement in children, and equipping parents to invest in their children’s life success. As the ‘Working Alternative to Charity,’ there are no hand-outs and everything is earned through our unique ticket-earning learning economy.
With 24 years of successful service, Sunday Friends offers day-long programs for the whole family—children and parents—on Sundays at three local elementary schools. Focus areas include Digital Fluency, English Fluency, Financial Literacy, Effective Parenting, Health/Wellness, Leadership and Pathways to College. We also offer a Rent Relief program and opportunity for college scholarships.
Serving 800 individuals with a volunteer force of 2,000 each year, our office is located within the Franklin-McKinley School District headquarters offering great synergy with the district. At the same location is our Treasure Chest store where participants in the program redeem their credits for much needed items ranging from diapers to personal hygiene products to household cleaners to school supplies, and also toys for the children.
Annual Revenues: $1,171,000
For more information: www.SundayFriends.org
Reporting to and in partnership with the Executive Director, the Director of Development and Communications will spearhead development and outward communication efforts as the Sunday Friends Foundation continues to grow. A new position in the organization, the Director will have the opportunity to build the development function and help set the future course of Sunday Friends.
- Identify and attract various funding sources including foundation and corporate partnerships, public funding, individual donors and family foundations.
- Coordinate and execute Sunday Friends’ annual fundraising plan.
- Partner with Executive Director to design a multi-year strategy for achieving revenue targets and plans for growth.
- Leverage the Board of Directors and Development Committee to execute fundraising activities including stewardship events, mail solicitations, and donor outreach.
- Design and executive major gifts program, and manage relations with major donors.
- Create and execute a strategy for a large sustained base of annual individual donors
- Implement and manage recurring/sustaining gifts program
- Research, prepare and submit foundation grants and corporate requests and manage development pipeline.
- Identify and solicit opportunities of in-kind material donations for the Treasure Chest store.
- Leverage corporate philanthropy funding streams and identify emerging opportunities with private foundations, government/district funding, individual donors, and events.
- Work closely with the Volunteer Manager to develop and implement plan to convert volunteers to donors.
- Train and support staff, Board members and volunteers to help fundraise for, and market Sunday Friends.
- Oversee gift processing and the implementation of Raiser’s Edge.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Increase organizational visibility among key stakeholders and convert new supporters.
- Manage communications content for print, web and social media for all development-related materials.
- Develop content for and disseminate regular e-newsletter Sunday Friends’ supporters.
- Bachelor degree and 3-5 years of experience working in the field of development and communications in a non-profit environment.
- Professional track record of writing and securing grants and securing individual donations.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including collaboration and a team orientation.
- Ability to take initiative and work to execute projects independently.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and lead on multiple initiatives simultaneously while meeting deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to effect positive organizational change.
- Over 5 years of community-based nonprofit development experience.
- Proven track record of achieving fundraising goals; growth experience is a bonus.
- Knowledge of, and ability to provide leadership and expertise in the areas of gift solicitations, prospecting, fundraising trends, donor analysis, annual giving campaigns, foundation and corporate relations, social media/e-fundraising, volunteer management and fundraising events.
- Strong interpersonal skills with people at all levels, and in all settings.
- A self-starter, total team player with strong organizational skills.
- Diplomacy and patience, along with a sense of humor!
- Able to work magic with Raiser’s Edge.
Commensurate with experience and other qualifications. Full health coverage to the employee is offered and a 401(k) plan is provided.
E-mail resume and cover letter to the Sunday Friends Foundation at firstname.lastname@example.org