Sacred Heart Community Service (SHCS), located in San José, CA, is looking for a Community Relations Manager (CRM) to develop and implement the organization’s growing community engagement and communications program. This individual must be highly organized and possess excellent oral and written communication skills, have the ability to work collaboratively, creatively, and have a passion for our vision – to build a community united to ensure that every child and adult is free from poverty. For over 55 years, SHCS has been one of the leading institutions addressing poverty in Santa Clara County. By engaging diverse volunteers we offer programs and resources to low-income community members and engage in grassroots organizing to change the systems that cause poverty. The efforts directly engage 25,000 households each year while our policy work spans all of Santa Clara County.
The CRM engages, nurtures, and develops community engagement and support for the vision, mission, and strategies of SHCS. The position oversees programs, workshops, and events designed to reach out, orient, educate, coordinate, and inspire community members and institutions to support the work of SHCS through volunteerism, financial and in-kind donations. The position also participates in communications and marketing efforts and serves as a liaison between internal programs and external community partners.
Description of Duties
Outreach and Community Resource Development (70-80%)
- Participates in organizational engagement and funds development strategy in coordination with the Funds Development Team.
- Responsible for meeting annual fundraising goals.
- Recruits and develops volunteer- leaders among organizations to activate their networks in service to Sacred Heart members. This includes supporting the development of volunteer committee-based work to support the mission.
- Develops, implements, and tracks plans to identify, establish contact, solicit involvement and maintain communication with assigned groups and institutional constituencies in the Bay Area.
- In coordination with our programs leads execution of a stellar volunteer experience for organizations.
- Organizes, schedules, and participates in community outreach activities including presentations, community events, service fairs, networking events and others.
- Understands and implements the narrative arc of the organization in concert with the team and the current strategic plan.
- Facilitates conversations about the volunteer experience, root causes of poverty, and invites leaders, volunteers, and organizations to give to our cause through financial donations, volunteer and political campaign activities.
- Develops, prepares, and updates outreach materials, talking points, thank you acknowledgments, and other collateral.
- Supports the planning and implementation of agency-wide programs, such as the Holiday and Pack-a-Back program and is available for work during this period - three days before Thanksgiving and the last two weeks of December.
- Participate in important policy campaigns as assigned.
- Serves as on-site manager as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Strong commitment to our vision of ensuring every child and adult is free from poverty;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a highly collaborative team environment.
- Prior experience of leading efforts and coordinating large groups, including public speaking;
- 2-4 years of experience in developing engagement for specific organizational constituencies, particularly fundraising and volunteer management;
- 2-5 years of funds development experience (preferably in a management position) in a nonprofit organization or equivalent business development experience;
- 1-3 years of communications and/or public affairs experience or equivalent experience;
- Demonstrated passion for social justice;
- Superior verbal, written, and presentation skills;
- Detail oriented, ability to multi-task, provide quick responses and highly organized;
- Proficiency with CRM databases (such as Salesforce), Word, Excel, and PowerPoint;
- Four-year degree or equivalent experience;
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends;
- Ability to lift up to 30lbs without assistance and up to 50lbs with assistance;
- The position requires you to stand and walk for prolonged periods of time;
- The position also requires computer use up to 6-8 hours per day;
- The physical demands described here are representative of what an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations can be made to enable individuals with differing abilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must complete a DMV and a background check, and qualify to be insured under SHCS driving policy.
Preferred (but not required)
- Experience in moves management or leadership development processes
- Understanding of data management, tracking, and analysis;
- Bilingual in English and Vietnamese or Spanish;
- Well-connected in Silicon Valley with the ability to draw on existing relationships.
Position is exempt, full-time, and reports to the Director of Community Engagement
The salary range for this position is commensurate with experience ranging from $65,000 - $80,000. Excellent benefits include fully paid medical insurance for employees and majority paid medical insurance for qualified dependents, dental insurance, vision insurance, 12 paid holidays, 10 paid sick days per year, paid vacation starting at 10 days per year, additional wellness benefits, basic life and long-term disability insurance, professional development and more.
Sacred Heart Community Service is proud to be an Equal Opportunity workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer. SHCS is committed to building a team of people of diverse ethnic, cultural, and experiential backgrounds. We especially encourage members of historically underrepresented and marginalized communities, people of color, women, people living with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ+ people to apply. It is the policy of Sacred Heart Community Service to prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type and to afford equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants, without regard to race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, pregnancy, medical condition or genetic information, veteran status, national origin, disability, marital or other protected status. SHCS will conform to the spirit, as well as the letter of all applicable laws and regulations.