Development & Communications Associate
Silicon Valley Education Foundation (SVEF) is the largest educational nonprofit in Silicon Valley. Our mission is to deliver and advocate for STEM education that inspires underserved students to succeed in college and careers. We are guided by the belief that all students are capable of pursuing higher education and boosting their future economic mobility regardless of their background. SVEF has an established legacy of providing proven STEM programs and being profoundly committed to empowering students to graduate high school career and college ready. The impact of our work is evident in our strong partnerships with districts and donors in closing the achievement gap and the creation of a workforce that has the skills to meet 21st century needs.
Join the SVEF team in a critical role to steward and connect with our supporters, and share our story with the public, in advancement of our mission. Reporting directly to the Development Manager, the Development & Communications Associate works as part of a high-performing, highly collaborative team in a friendly, flexible work environment.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
• Responsible for SVEF’s gift processing and acknowledgement operation. Work with Development staff to send meaningful, accurate, and timely thank-you letters and other communications to individual donors, representatives from foundations and corporations, and other supporters. Enter gifts, event registrations, supporter notes, and other files in SVEF’s Salesforce database, and ensure that every gift generates an appropriate acknowledgement and receipt.
• Serve as the Development & Communications Associate department’s lead user of Salesforce. Working with SF Certified staff to maximize structure and automation, interface with external fundraising and marketing platforms, maintain data hygiene and generate accurate reports.
• Drive SVEF’s social media engine and online presence. Work with Communications and Program staff to schedule and send social media posts, eNews, event invitations, and other messaging with SVEF stakeholders and the general public. Make updates to the website and other platforms in order to attract and engage with SVEF followers and donors.
• Provide general support for SVEF’s Development and Communications efforts by keeping printed collateral and other inventory organized, assisting with special events, and providing exceptional service to our funders, followers, and program participants.
• Bachelor’s Degree and at least 1-2 years of professional experience in customer/patron/donor services, marketing/PR/media, or the equivalent
• Exceptional attention to details and deadlines
• Proficiency with Salesforce data entry and maintenance, as well as standard business applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Google Docs
• Proficient in social media - Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and other communications platforms and apps
• Demonstrated commitment to the mission and core values of SVEF, along with adherence to the AFP Code of Ethics and Donor Bill of Rights
• Ability to maintain professionalism under pressure with abilities to multi-task, anticipate change and react efficiently with challenging deadlines and priorities
• Ability to work well independently as well as collaboratively, with a willingness to learn and a strong work ethic as part of a team
• 2+ years using Salesforce to support fundraising and/or communications for a nonprofit organization
• Working knowledge of Google AdWords, WordPress, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Campaign Monitor and/or other graphics, web design, and communications applications
• Strong analytical, organizational, project management, and problem-solving skills