SUMMARY: The Development Manager is responsible for growing The SPCA for Monterey County’s donor base, retaining ongoing support and strengthening relationships with current donors. S/he develops and manages the annual mail and online giving programs and is accountable for meeting revenue goals as determined on an annual basis. Oversee annual Bow Wow & Meow Donor Appreciation Breakfast in conjunction with Vice President, Development and Community Outreach team. Research grant opportunities, write and submit grant proposals and report as required by Foundation. Supervise Events Manager and Development Assistant.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
DIGITAL AND DIRECT MAIL
- Manage production and implementation of digital, direct mail and integrated campaigns.
- Work with contracted vendor to define and produce designs, themes, messages, and timing.
- Ensure that all accompanying digital assets including home slides, lightboxes, donation pages, social media ads, automated gift receipts, and gift acknowledgment letters and messaging are coordinated and aligned by campaign.
- Using Luminate Online, create and maintain campaign donation pages; provide lightbox and homeslide graphics to Community Outreach for website
- Working with Vice President of Development and vendor, establish an annual budget
- Track results and report on performance; provide results to vendor on a weekly basis. Provide other data and donor reports to vendor as appropriate for overall analysis and metrics.
- Using Luminate Online, build and execute email campaigns for integration with mail campaign, special needs appeals, etc.
- Write campaign copy that will engage and convert audiences as segmented.
- Select and edit photography as needed to support campaign emails and webpages.
DIRECT MAIL CAMPAIGNS
- Develop and manage annual direct mail calendar in coordination with vendor
- Research story ideas, provide copy, select images, collaborate on print design, and proof materials by designated deadlines.
- Work with external vendor to accurately deliver direct mail campaign strategy, design, print, and execution.
- Working with the direct mail vendor, develop segmentation strategies to increase participation rates and giving levels.
- Export, proof and submit segmented mailing lists as determined by vendor.
- Provide assistance where needed in the execution of major events including but not limited to: Telethon, Wag n’ Walk, and Tux & Tails.
- Assist the Event Coordinator with the production of mailing lists needed for solicitations and invitations.
- Research opportunities for increased fundraising with major events and work collaboratively with Events Coordinator to use tools and techniques that will lead to increased revenue and improved donor experiences.
- Participate as needed or directed on the day of a major event.
- Participate in on-site donor cultivation events on an as-needed or directed basis.
- Research opportunities for grant funding for specific SPCA programs and for general support.
- Oversee all aspects of grants and foundation proposals including writing, budget, research, cultivation, data collection, evaluation, and reports.
- Schedule site visits as requested.
DEVELOPMENT AND DATABASE ADMINISTRATION
- Run NCOA on a quarterly basis.
- Prepare weekly reports on fundraising activity for Vice President, Development.
- Regularly update acknowledgment letters to match each direct mail campaign, event fundraising, or other donations including major gifts, tribute donations, in-kind donations, and foundation gifts.
- Refer Planned Giving prospects to Vice President, Development.
- Generate mailing lists for major donor appeal letter, planned giving newsletter, event invitations and other development needs as requested.
- Resolve problems with the Raiser’s Edge software and the Blackbaud remote server using the online knowledgebase or customer support.
DONOR SERVICES, PUBLIC IMAGE, AND EDUCATION
- When receiving phone calls relating to development issues, answer all questions correctly, find the answer if you don’t know it, or see that questions are referred to the appropriate party or parties.
- Greet visitors on site who are seeking donation information; answer questions and introduce guests to other staff when appropriate.
- At all times maintain a pleasant, courteous and tactful attitude with the public. Refer issues or difficult situations that cannot be solved to the Vice President, Development or other senior or middle manager.
- Be knowledgeable and adhere to the goals and objectives of The SPCA. Share this knowledge with members of the public when appropriate.
- Educate the public when and where appropriate to the mission and goals of the SPCA.
- Adhere to the high standard of transparency and integrity, which is integral to all SPCA interactions with staff, volunteers, and the public.
- Ensure that all development work areas are maintained in a clean, safe and presentable manner at all times.
- Report all safety issues immediately to the Vice President, Development, Vice President, Operations, and Facilities Manager and refer physical maintenance requests to the Director of Operations and Maintenance Supervisor with a copy to the Vice President, Development.
- Maintain and communicate the mission of the SPCA.
- Actively support decisions, policies and adhere to procedures developed and directed by the SPCA President & CEO, Senior Staff, and Managers.
- All other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- 5+ years of non-profit fundraising experience
- Must have strong computer skills, with advanced level skills working with Raisers Edge, RE NXT, and Luminate Online. Significant experience working with graphic design software, Microsoft Word, Excel, Google Docs.
- Experience implementing and deploying email marketing campaigns.
- Outstanding written fundraising communication skills including copyediting and proofreading for print and digital deployment.
- Strong organizational and project management skills are key along with the aptitude for managing multiple projects concurrently.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Demonstrated knowledge and command of business English, grammar and composition.
- Willing and able to work collaboratively and cooperatively with others to constructively solve problems and resolve conflicts.
- Must be team-oriented and communicate effectively with the public, fellow employees and volunteers.
- Exhibit willingness and ability to adjust tasks in accordance with changing deadlines and priorities.
- Organized, detail-oriented, good problem solver.
- Ability to analyze data and prepare statistical reports as directed.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS and WORK ENVIRONMENT: Physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- PHYSICAL DEMANDS: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit at a desk and work at a computer with a video display terminal for long periods. Will occasionally stand, walk, lift 0-10 pounds overhead, lift 10-20 pounds below the waist, carry, push and pull 10-20 pounds, stoop, kneel and reach. Ordinary talking, conversational hearing and ability to see near and far are constant requirements.
- WORK ENVIRONMENT: While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works indoors, with very limited yet possible exposure to loud noises, offensive odors, chemicals, animal parasites, animal food or waste, live and deceased animals, and hostile or aggressive animals.