Senior Director of Philanthropy
SENIOR DIRECTOR of PHILANTHROPY (Silicon Valley/Bay Area and Northern California Region)
Think Together was founded in 1997 with the mission to partner with schools to change the odds for kids. This year, Think Together is impacting more than 200,000 students in 500+ programs through partnerships with 49 districts, making it one of the largest education support providers in California. Through a robust suite of programs and services, Think Together equips students with the tools to succeed from preschool through high school by ensuring they develop the academic and social emotional skills and knowledge critical for college and career readiness. Through the collaboration of district partners across California, the groundwork has been laid to help transform the school landscape for over 2 million students on the wrong side of the achievement gap. Over the last 23 years, Think Together has provided academic support services for underserved students and has built a network of 49 school district partners. Think Together has the goal of scaling innovative systems-change work to reach underserved students throughout California. Through public/private partnerships, we seek to provide the necessary training and coaching to equip school leaders with the tools they need to transform the futures of our kids and make California the #1 state in education again.
Think Together is the change-agent in California’s K-12 education, employing over 3,200 staff throughout the state. With a 2019/2020 fiscal year budget of $80M, Think Together is accelerating growth plans through a campaign to bring systems-change work and student supports to a targeted group of vulnerable school districts/schools, networks of districts/schools and other mission-aligned organizations. We are committed to designing and delivering data-driven programs and solutions to help kids reach proficiency and achievement levels necessary to progress through school and prepare for college and career.
SENIOR DIRECTOR of PHILANTHROPY (Northern California) The Senior Director of Philanthropy, Northern California a newly created position, will spearhead the major gifts program and serve as a critical member of the development team. Reporting to the Chief Development Officer and concentrating on Silicon Valley and the Bay Area, the Senior Director of Philanthropy will:
• Develop and execute solicitation strategies for major gifts of $50,000 or more, working closely with staff to track the progress of these efforts.
• Participate in all aspects of the gift cycle—identifying new prospective donors, managing the portfolio of existing donors, and ensuring that each major donor has a clear strategy and timeline in the gift cycle (Moves Management).
• Provide personalized stewardship of Think Together’s major donor portfolio, ensuring donors experience high-quality interactions that foster long-term engagement and investment.
• Develop methods to convey the impact of gifts and ensure that donors are kept up-to-date on key developments in Think Together’s fast-changing campaigns and priorities.
• Work with the Silicon Valley board members to plan and implement strategic donor cultivation events for the region. Enlist the support of high-level donors and volunteers to host events and provide new prospect names. Execute logistics and develop strategic event programming in consultation with the Chief Development Officer and strategize and coordinate post-event follow-up.
• Monitor all prospect contacts to ensure positive and purposeful interactions and donor relations.
• Provide oversight of all major gift donor activity in the region and participate in statewide strategy for an integrated program.
The Senior Director of Philanthropy will work remotely from a home-based office and/or from a regional office in Silicon Valley, as appropriate. The position requires some travel to the Los Angeles and Orange County offices as well travel throughout Silicon Valley and the Bay Area.
IDEAL EXPERIENCE AND CHARACTERISTICS
The Senior Director of Philanthropy should thoroughly embrace and represent Think Together’s mission and philosophy and have the following experience and qualifications:
• Experience as a frontline fundraiser with demonstrated success in personally cultivating, soliciting, and securing major and lead gifts of $50,000+.
• Must be a highly-energetic professional with a track record of building productive and lasting donor relationships.
• A working knowledge of the Silicon Valley/Northern California philanthropic community and its leaders.
REQUIREMENTS, CAREER PATH, AND EDUCATION BACKGROUND
The ideal candidate has a creative, entrepreneurial, and innovative approach to work. The ability to represent Think Together with professionalism and strong and engaging communication skills (both written and verbal) are essential. At a minimum, this position requires:
• A Bachelor’s Degree.
• Five to seven years of increasing experience and responsibility in a development or advancement department, including significant focus on major gifts from individuals. • Demonstrable experience in creating and implementing stewardship plans leading to additional philanthropic investments.
• Experience in assessing capacity through prospect research, managing donor relations, and deploying program and senior staff strategically in moves management and asks.
• Significant knowledge of the complexities of the Northern California philanthropic sector.
Think Together is offering a highly-competitive compensation package based on the candidate’s significant qualifications and experience. Think Together also offers flexible and generous paid time off per calendar year (pro-rated based on hire date), along with health, vision, dental, life, and pet insurance. A 403(b) retirement plan is available.
Please submit the following to Michelle@MichelleWhitingandAssociates.com:
1.) Cover letter: All candidates must submit a thoughtful cover letter which outlines qualifications, experience, and past success as a major gifts officer in a comprehensive development program and describes how these qualifications fully intersect with Think Together’s needs for this position.
2.) Resume/CV. 3.) Compensation requirements Please email this information to Michelle@MichelleWhitingandAssociates.com with "Senior Director of Philanthropy Northern California” as the subject line.
All three attachments must be received; incomplete applications will not be considered. Due to the anticipated volume of applications, only principal, qualified candidates will receive a response. We ask that no emails or phone calls be directed to Think Together.
To learn more about Think Together, please visit www.thinktogether.org.
Think Together is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and actively seeks a diverse pool of candidates.