Director of Fund Development and Marketing
JOB TITLE: Director of Fund Development and Marketing
REPORTS TO: Chief Executive Officer
POSITION PURPOSE AND OBJECTIVES: Plan, organize, supervise, and carry out fund development efforts on behalf of the agency. Successfully raise both unrestricted funds and foundation/government grant funding, meeting or exceeding agency goals.
1. Donor Relations - Lead the Development Team in all fundraising efforts with individuals and corporations, including marketing, strategic planning, budgeting, and prospect identification, cultivation, and relationship building. Develop major donor program and an effective communication strategy.
2. Grant Proposals - Oversee Development Team grant writing efforts, including identifying, cultivating, and soliciting foundation and governmental support.
3. Special Events - Oversee the planning and coordination of special events.
4. Marketing – Oversee the marketing and social media team.
5. Community Relations - Oversee the agency’s community relations efforts. Represent the agency professionally in the community.
6. Staff Management - Recruit, hire, train, supervise, and mentor Development Team staff.
7. Mission - Support the mission and vision of StarVista and uphold the agency’s values and operating principles.
a) Create, implement, manage and evaluate fund development and marketing/ community relations plans. Plan components including annual campaign, corporate giving, events, grant writing, planned giving, and community relations.
b) Prepare annual budget in conjunction with the Chief Executive Officer and Chief Financial Officer, review monthly financials, and prepare activity reports and Board presentations related to the Development Department.
c) Develop and execute plan to successfully cultivate past, existing, and prospective supporters and Board Members.
d) Oversee the creation and implementation of donor recognition benefits and activities.
e) Motivate the Board, supporters, and staff to become part of the fundraising and community relations process.
f) Promote StarVista’s mission, services, and successes in the community.
g) Plan and attend site visits, tours, and meetings to steward StarVista donors and supporters.
h) Work with staff to create professional development plans.
2. Donor Relations:
a) Lead a team that will create, implement, manage, and evaluate annual campaign, corporate campaign, direct mail, email, endowment campaign, planned giving program, and capital campaign as needed.
b) Work in partnership with the development team to manage campaign prospect identification, cultivation, and solicitation process.
c) Oversee written collateral materials related to each campaign/activity.
3. Special Events:
a) Oversee coordination of agency special events.
4. Grant Proposals:
a) Oversee public and private sector grant research and proposal submission process, including identifying, cultivating, and soliciting support.
5. Marketing/ Community Relations:
a) Supervise marketing and community relations activities to increase StarVista’s visibility in the community, emphasizing the human and social needs which the agency meets, as well as enhancing fundraising objectives.
b) Oversee the coordination and production of materials used for fundraising and marketing, including but not limited to annual reports, newsletters, agency and program brochures, and campaign materials, website, ensuring that the StarVista name is attached to all program materials.
c) Along with Chief Executive Officer, act as media and community spokesperson for the agency.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED :
1. Strong organization, communication, supervisory, and leadership skills.
2. Ability to motivate others and interface professionally with volunteers, staff, and StarVista supporters in the community.
3. Ability to work as a team with other members of upper management and the Board to accomplish tasks supporting the agency’s mission.
4. Ability to build relationships with funding sources.
5. Ability to converse with diverse constituencies.
6. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
7. Ability to appropriately prioritize issues and deliver planned results.
8. Evidence of professional creativity and initiative.
9. Ability to problem-solve, seek solutions, and use data to inform strategic planning and decision making.
11.Ability to organize and manage office operations.
12.Clear understanding of issues facing child, youth and family service organizations.
13.Commitment to the StarVista mission.
14.Capable of maintaining confidentiality.
15.Understanding of diversity issues, and willingness to explore self in relation to these issues.
16.Ability to tactfully and genuinely hold and communicate a management perspective in addition to seeking staff input and demonstrating sensitivity to staff concerns.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: The Development Team staff.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Work in a community-based nonprofit agency providing social services to youth, families, and adults.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: At least four (4) years of fundraising/development experience. Proven success in creating and implementing fundraising and marketing programs. Demonstrated skills in recruiting, hiring, managing, and mentoring staff. Knowledge of Board relations and volunteer management, strategic planning, and a variety of fundraising and marketing methods and techniques. Knowledge and experience of fundraising database systems and MS Office. Familiarity with the Benevon Model of fund development preferred.
POSITION STATUS: Reports to the Chief Executive Officer Exempt, 40hrs/week, Benefits include health, dental, and vision, pro-rated sick leave, vacation, personal days, and holiday pay.
TO APPLY: Please email a detailed cover letter and resume to Sara Larios Mitchell, Chief Executive Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
StarVista is a private non-profit agency in San Mateo County that provides a wide array of free and low-cost services to help children, teens and adults who are dealing with substance abuse, domestic violence, mental health, relationship and communication issues. More information about the agency and its programs can be found at www.star-vista.org.