Who We Are
The San Francisco Unified School District (SFUSD) is the seventh largest school district in California, serving more than 54,000 students who speak more than 44 documented languages across 136 schools in the city of San Francisco every year. We aim for every student who attends SFUSD schools to discover his or her spark, along with a strong sense of self and purpose, and that all students graduate from high school ready for college and career, and equipped with the skills, capacities and dispositions outlined in SFUSD’s Graduate Profile. Every day in our quest to achieve this mission we provide each and every student the quality instruction and equitable support required to thrive in the 21 st century.
KALW is the community broadcast service of the San Francisco Unified School District, a pioneer in public broadcasting since it went on the air in 1941 as the first FM station in the West. The station was an early NPR affiliate and served as the West Coast station of record for the BBC World Service. In the 21 st century, KALW has grown into one of the most productive stations in public radio. It is a leading broadcast outlet for the Bay Area’s diverse arts and music scenes. It has developed an award-winning local newsroom with training and talent development at its core. And thanks to partnerships with community institutions and independent producers, it is an engine for distinctive original productions, including the path-breaking podcasts 99% Invisible and Radio Ambulante.
What It Means to Work Here The SFUSD community is unified by our Core Values:
● Student-centered: We put students’ needs first
● Fearless: We persist through challenges
● United: We celebrate and build on each other’s strengths
● Social Justice: We stand with those most vulnerable in our community
● Diversity-driven: We respect and seek to understand each person
We are also inspired by Vision 2025, which captures our aspirations and vision for the future of public education in San Francisco. Alongside the District’s strategic plan, Transform Learning. Transform Lives. SFUSD is reimagining how public education will change over the next decade to meet the dynamic future of San Francisco. As a CORE district, SFUSD is also a leader in critical systems change for more comprehensive school accountability and innovations that help strengthen the instructional core, which is the foundation of our strategic plan and Vision 2025.
Who We Want
We want talented people from diverse backgrounds and experiences, who are committed to and will champion our Core Values, are inspired by our mission steeped in equity, and who are motivated to unleash our children’s potential. We want people who are strong collaborators, skilled communicators, problem solvers and who are comfortable in a community of continuous learning. As the 0991 Development Manager you will report to KALW’s General Manager, and be a part of the KALW development department, and a district leader in fundraising.
We expect our 0991 Development Manager will:
Implement and oversee KALW fundraising activities
● Manage annual membership activity, including but not limited to: on-air campaigns, direct mail, special events, online and social networking campaigns
● Qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward major gifts to the station, in cooperation with the General Manager and other appropriate KALW staff
● Manage underwriting program
● Research, prepare, submit and monitor foundation grants
● Build KALW’s planned giving program Develop and monitor KALW’s fundraising strategy
● Create and implement a comprehensive fundraising strategy in alignment with strategic priorities for KALW
● With the General Manager, set fundraising goals and appropriately communicate goals to staff
● Serve as a member of the KALW management team; participate in the implementation of the strategic plan and vision
Participate in KALW’s community relations and outreach
● Professionally represent KALW in the community by participating in community events, serving on appropriate committees and volunteer organizations and otherwise advancing the unique role and importance of KALW Provide leadership
● Manage the Development team, including fostering a culture of professional growth
● Maintain and encourage positive relationships with other KALW team members
● Ensure that donations and donors are treated with the highest ethical standards
The strongest candidates will have:
● Excellent interpersonal, leadership, and management skills and high professional standards for work
● Interest in and enthusiasm for public radio
● Experience in public media
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills
● Ability to maintain positive, professional, and friendly relationships with community members and partners
● Strong computer skills
● Experience with CRMs, and PCI Compliance or willingness and enthusiasm for learning these systems / standards
● Ability to prioritize assignments and work independently on complex communication tasks
● Public speaking experience Minimum Qualifications
● Bachelor’s degree (B.A. / B.S) from an accredited college or university or equivalent professional experience
● Two (2) years of professional-level experience in a donor-centric fundraising, annual fund, major gifts, campaign implementation or related activities
What We Offer
SFUSD offers a competitive salary of $98,416 - $134,433 annually, commensurate with experience in a similar position. We offer a comprehensive benefits plan including dental and vision plans, a defined benefit pension plan, disability, life insurance, flexible spending account options and vacation time. We also offer an inclusive and equity-centered environment where we encourage staff to bring their whole selves to work.
How to Apply
● Visit www.edjoin.org/sfusd and create a new account to begin your application.
● You will be prompted to electronically attach a letter of interest, resume, list of professional references and any applicable credentials or licenses
● Our Human Resources team will then review your entire application to determine your eligibility status and contact you directly should you move forward in the process Verification
Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point during the recruitment and selection process. If education verification is required, information on how to verify education requirements, including verifying foreign education credits or degree equivalency, can be found at http://sfdhr.org/how-verify-education-requirements. Note: Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification from this and future job opportunities with the San Francisco Unified School District.